Jonas H. Osterude III

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jonas H. Osterude III

Post by #1! on 17th May 2010, 2:15 am

Jonas H. Osterude III
True Neutral Undead Human
< Dustman >

"It's the little things I miss the most. Tasting food. Sleeping. Sex...well, I might still be able to do that, but nobody's been exactly responsive to my boyish charms. Yeah, exploring the multiverse sounds like a great way to pass the time. I'll either end up being dead, ACTUALLY dead, or I'll find some other alternative. God DAMN it, I wish I could get drunk."

Statistics

Class: Fighter (4)

Strength: 13 ( 15 )
Dexterity: 8 ( 6 )
Constitution: 0 ( 15 - > 16 @ 4th )
Intelligence: 14
Wisdom: 11
Charisma: 14 ( 8 )

HP: 55 (30+12+3+4+6)
AC: 19 (10+8+3-2)
BAB: +4

Base Speed: 20' (15' when armoured)

Fortitude: - (+7)
Reflex: -1
Will: +2

Feats

Combat Expertise
Improved Disarm
Blind Fight
Power Attack
Zombie Toughness
Improved Toughness I

Skills

Bluff 5 (4)
Diplomacy 3 (4*)
Disguise 4 (5*)
Gather Information 4 (3)
Heal 2
Intimidate 2 (3*)
Perform (Violin) 3 (2)
Perform (Sing) 1 (0)
Sense Motive 4
*+2 synergy bonus for ranks in Bluff

Special Qualities

* Zombie Toughness (functions as default toughness feat).
* 5/slashing DR.
* No effective Constitution score.
* Darkvision out to 60 feet.
* Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
* Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death effects.
* Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects.
* Negative energy (such as an inflict spell) heals while positive enegry harms. The fast healing special quality is applicable.
* Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).
* Not at risk of death from massive damage, but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, is immediately destroyed.
* Not affected by raise dead and reincarnate spells or abilities.
* Proficient with natural weapons (slam attack).
* Doesn't breathe, eat, or sleep.
* Base movement speed of 20'.

Gear

Suit of Aged Half-Plate (+1)
Battered Heavy Steel Shield (+1)
Clumsily-Repaired Remnants of Formerly Fashionable Clothes
Cursed Family Ring (Inflict Light Wounds 1/day)
Cold Iron Battleaxe
Silver Flail
Various Perfumes and Colognes
Sewing Supplies (including bandages)
Mason Jar of Embalming Fluid
Disguise Kit
Masterwork Violin

Background

Jonas was once a handsome singer and vagabond from the world of Ravenloft, the son of a minor noble merchant family that held domain over a small fiefdom. Not cut out for a solitary political life, he traveled extensively, wooing ladies and catching the ire of jealous husbands and protective fathers throughout a variety of locales. However, his actions caught up to him and he became the helpless victim of a conspiracy led by a jilted lover, an ancestral enemy, and a childhood rival. Their machinations culminated in the curse that Jonas has been burdened with: to live in perpetual half-life, trapped within the decaying remains of his once youthful body, robbed of his looks, his talents, and some of his sanity.

The black magic that the ceremony his captors subjected him to did not go exactly to plan, as all involved were swept away from the subterranean ritual site into the dark void of the infamous mists of Ravenloft. Jonas found himself deposited in the horrifying depths of the Abyss, where he wandered for an unknown period of time in a state of perpetual panic. It was here that he found his few possessions, a variety of demon-crafted martial gear which he used for his desperate defense until his eventual escape to the City of Doors from the fiery plains of terror.

He found grudging acceptance on the streets of Sigil, though there are few places that a walking, talking corpse can find true companionship. The philosophy of the Dustmen faction appealed to him, as he drew great comfort in their attitude on the nature of life and death and the idea that he was still as "alive" as the next person. He does whatever odd jobs he can find in order to occupy his restless mind, mostly occupying space in the city Mortuary, acting as a sort of mascot for a local sect of undead-apologist Dustmen, or being used as a "scared-straight" example for wayward and troublesome children. Still, his sense of wanderlust is growing...as is his thirst for vengeance.

Last edited by #1! on 11th June 2010, 4:42 pm; edited 19 times in total

#1!
VOTE NAZI TANK!
VOTE NAZI TANK!

View user profile http://baatorian.ripz.org/

Back to top Go down

Re: Jonas H. Osterude III

Post by ^^Truth on 17th May 2010, 4:12 am

An undead creature possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).

* No Constitution score.
* Darkvision out to 60 feet.
* Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
* Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death effects.
* Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects.
* Cannot heal damage on its own if it has no Intelligence score, although it can be healed. Negative energy (such as an inflict spell) can heal undead creatures. The fast healing special quality works regardless of the creature’s Intelligence score.
* Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).
* Uses its Charisma modifier for Concentration checks.
* Not at risk of death from massive damage, but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, it is immediately destroyed.
* Not affected by raise dead and reincarnate spells or abilities. Resurrection and true resurrection can affect undead creatures. These spells turn undead creatures back into the living creatures they were before becoming undead.
* Proficient with its natural weapons, all simple weapons, and any weapons mentioned in its entry.
* Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. Undead not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Undead are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.
* Undead do not breathe, eat, or sleep.

So basically you would have no fortitude score, because you're immune to anything that requires a fortitude save.

Also. If you get on steam at some point we can discuss all of this in much more detail. I was totally fucking wasted last night and no idea what I was going on about anyway.

^^Truth
Super Nazi Admin
Super Nazi Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ^^Truth on 17th May 2010, 9:12 pm

Dwarf's Toughness : Requires base fortitude save of +5.
Effect : +6 HP. Can be taken multiple times. Fighter bonus feats apply.

Giant's Toughness : Requires base fortitude save of +8.
Effect : +9 HP. Can be taken multiple times. Fighter bonus feats apply.

Dragon's Toughness : Requires base fortitude save of +11.
Effect : +12 HP. Can be taken multiple times. Fighter bonus feats apply.

Just note when you would end up with your BAB being whatever it should be as a fighter and purchase from there. Dwarf's is available from L6 fighter, for example.

^^Truth
Super Nazi Admin
Super Nazi Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ^^Truth on 17th May 2010, 9:41 pm

If I was you. I'd grab power attack and combat expertise at a minimum for versitility. Extra damage when you need it or extra AC when you need it. Even if you don't get any other feats from those same lines.

Remember you have +1 attribute from 4th level.

Blind Fighting might also be nice, being that you're a zombie it'd kinda make sense and when it comes up, it's a Godsend. Comes up move in the planes, especially with invisible creasture and the like.

Track (although you'd need wilderness survival I think?) might also be cool, RE: Background and that fact that you never sleep, means most things would never get away. (Note: Yeah, is wilderness survival, but I see no problem in making it search instead).

Mounted Combat could be cool too, should you ever find a zombie or skeleton horse, or nightmare (Very Happy). Right now you're not an undead knight, more like an undead foot solider, but think to the future.

If I was you, I'd look up the prices of items that may let you command, control other unintelligent undead (perhaps for the future?) so you can get a little group of zombie buddies called Dave. Would kinda make you like an important leader zombie innit.

Anyhow, looks good, was going to suggest maybe Sleight of Hand if you have the points. Taking items of sentimental value from other people, because he has nothing left of value himself and somehow jogs his memory a bit/makes him feel more alive.

Osterguard would be a better surname, Osterude sounds weird on the tongue.

^^Truth
Super Nazi Admin
Super Nazi Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by #1! on 19th May 2010, 10:02 am

Geeze, I'd have to wait until 6th level to get a measly +6 HP? That doesn't seem terribly worthwhile, really.

I found a write-up for a 3.5 feat called "Improved Toughness" which seems reasonable to me.

Improved Toughness [General]

You are tougher than normal.

Prerequisites: Toughness, Base attack bonus +3

Benefit:

You gain +4 hit points, for a total feat bonus of +7 hit points.

Improved Toughness can be taken any number of times and stacks with itself and the hit point bonus provided by the Toughness feat. Each time that it is taken after the first, increase the prerequisite base attack bonus for selecting the feat by +3 and increase the hit points provided by the feat by +1.

The following table sums up the requirements and bonuses of various levels of Toughness and Improved Toughness you can take up to level 20.

Feat {BAB} [Bonus] (Total)
Toughness - [+3] (+3)
Improved Toughness {+3} [+4] (+7)
Improved Toughness x2 {+6} [+5] (+12)
Improved Toughness x3 {+9} [+6] (+18)
Improved Toughness x4 {+12} [+7] (+25)
Improved Toughness x5 {+15} [+8] (+33)
Improved Toughness x6 {+18} [+9] (+42)

Fuck this forum for not letting me use spaces to make this chart more legible.

Thoughts? Objections?

Don't have much cash after buying the armour/shield combo, but as far as I can tell the cheapest undead-controlling-related magic item listed is the robe of bones, and that seems pretty...lame. But I like the idea of something that allows my PC to influence other undead.

I originally had sleight of hand as a skill, but as fighters get fuck all points for skills AND having to cope with a -2 mod from dexterity, it didn't seem like a worthwhile investment. By the way, fuck perform using charisma as its stat. I'm sure there have been plenty of ugly, under-confident, uncharismatic people who could play musical instruments really well (though I can see the general reasoning behind having cha be the blanket stat).

4th level boost was already included in Constitution, but went back and clarified where I put it.

How big/awkward is your tongue that you can't say Osterude without it sounding weird? Oster-ood. Ain't hard Very Happy

Am I going to be able to use the heal skill for any actual self-healing (say in the form of stitching stuff together, what with there not being a biological means of mending tears and such)?

#1!
VOTE NAZI TANK!
VOTE NAZI TANK!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tromador on 19th May 2010, 10:54 am

Quick couple of things...

The name... is properly funny if you imagine it in a comedy swiss accent, so it becomes

Yownas Ostairooda

Perhaps instead of heal you should take Profession (Taxidermy) and use that to repair yourself (also can make loads of cool creepy stuffed bunnies and such). Either way, I would imagine we can come up with a system so you can 'heal' overnight based on patching yourself up somewhat, similar to most dudes con based healing.

Also don't forget neg energy (inflict spells etc) will heal you. That would include some mage spells, so it's entirely possible Tza'rok could get some sooner or later.

Fuck this forum for not letting me use spaces to make this chart more legible.

Agreed.

Tromador
Burnination in my Pantination

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ^^Truth on 19th May 2010, 8:03 pm

No. No natural healing for this PC. Its undead, has undead immunities, thus is has the disadvantages.

If it healed by itself. I'd push for the ECL to go upto +2 easy.

^^Truth
Super Nazi Admin
Super Nazi Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by illumination on 20th May 2010, 10:21 pm

it seems a shame to me that jonas (who is clearly dutch) has had to don some armour in order to keep balanced with the other fighter. i got the feeling zerts was up for running around in a filthy rain mac or some other zombie appropriate items.

so, as it makes no difference at all - i have no objection with the character starting with:

cursed bracer's of armouring +8. -1 level energy drain a round.

(prevents anyone other than Mr Osterrude making use of em.)

illumination
VOTE NAZI TANK!
VOTE NAZI TANK!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ^^Truth on 21st May 2010, 9:34 am

Remain balanced with the monk, druid and thief/wizard, yes.

Whilst it's absolutely ridiculus that a warrior should have to wear armour to be a tank, I think we're just going to have to swallow this incredibly bitter pil.

... thinking about it, it's pretty ridiculus that they should have to use weapons to remain competitive too, maybe we should up their hand to hand damage to 10d6, incase the wizard picks up fireball.

Sarcasm aside, I object quite strongly, although I think Zert is set on the armour now.

^^Truth
Super Nazi Admin
Super Nazi Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by #1! on 21st May 2010, 9:55 am

Your sarcasm sounds SO bitter!

Though I have to say I would object to people getting 10d6 unarmed damage. Mostly because it lessens the awesomeness that The Fist and Vernon pulled off with shitty 1d3 punches Very Happy

#1!
VOTE NAZI TANK!
VOTE NAZI TANK!

Back to top Go down

Post by ^^Truth on 21st May 2010, 10:06 am

The Fist was better than Vernon. The Fist shattered an innocent mans face and then tossed coins all over him as some kinda compensation.

Talk about chaotic evil Very Happy

^^Truth
Super Nazi Admin
Super Nazi Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by #1! on 21st May 2010, 10:16 am

Oh man, I forgot all about that part. That was, probably, the most fun RP scene I've ever done Very Happy

#1!
VOTE NAZI TANK!
VOTE NAZI TANK!

Back to top Go down

Post by #1! on 21st May 2010, 11:09 am

Oh, btw, what the heck are the pros/cons for Dustmen? Is it just the Dead Truce and an inability to be brought back to life? If so, seems appropriate for a zombie!

#1!
VOTE NAZI TANK!
VOTE NAZI TANK!

Back to top Go down

Post by illumination on 21st May 2010, 11:48 am

pretty much, aye, zombiod.

illumination
VOTE NAZI TANK!
VOTE NAZI TANK!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tromador on 21st May 2010, 11:57 am

THE DUSTMEN
(THE DEAD)

Faction Philosophy. These guys say Life's a joke, a great trick. Nobody's alive; in fact, there's no such thing as Life. Sure, the petitioners are dead compared to the rest of us, but everybody else is dead, too - they just don't know it yet. So what's the chant? Simple: "All these worlds and all these universes are just shadows of another existence." This multiverse the Prime Material, the Inner, and the Outer Planes - is where beings wind up after they die. Look, if things were truly alive, would there be such pain and misery in the multiverse? 'Course not! Life is supposed to be about celebration and positive feelings. Existence here is muted, dull, full of pain, and twisted with sorrow. What kind of celebration is that? This existence is a mockery of true life. Fact is, everyone is dead - primes, planars, proxies, petitioners, all of them - it's just that some are more dead than others. Primes are just started on the path, planars are a little further along, and petitioners, well, they're almost to the end. Then there's the walking dead. They've attained purity in this world - purged themselves of all passions and sense. The goal's not to merge with the planes like the petitioners think; it's to purify the self, to become one of the true dead. This is important: In order to appreciate Death in proper Dustman fashion, a sod has got to explore his so-called "life" to its fullest and understand his present state of existence with all its trials before moving up the ladder of Truth. The berk who gets restless and rushes things dies a fool, and he'll probably be forced to go through the whole thing all over again - that's a real waste of time! Here's the chant: Respect Death, and don't ever treat it like a servant.
Primary plane of Influence. The Negative Energy Plane. Through great effort, the Dustmen maintain a citadel in the inhospitable darkness of that plane. In Sigil, their headquarters is the Mortuary, the place where the bodies of all who die in the city are sent.

Allies and Enemies. The Dustmen's views tend to provoke strong reactions. The Bleak Cabal favor their grim viewpoint, as do the Doomguard. The Fated find certain common ground in the deterministic views of most Dustmen, too. On the other side, the Dead's fatalistic rejection of life runs counter to the teachings of the Sign of One. Of all the factions, the Society of Sensation is the most opposed to Dustman teachings. Furthermore, most primes have a great deal of difficulty dealing with Dustmen, for a Dustman's views on life and death are too extreme.

Eligibility. All races, classes, and alignments are welcome to become members of the Dustmen. Priests of death gods are particularly common in this faction.

Benefits. The Dustmen have one of the most unique abilities of all the factions, embodied in the Bead Truce. This truce is a pact, reached in times more ancient than memory, between the Dustmen and the beings of the undead realm. The effect of the truce is that the undead'll ignore a Dustman, so long as the Dustman does nothing to harm the undead creature. If the Dustman breaks the pact, the undead and its companions will treat the sod as they would any other living being. This pact applies only to Dustmen. If one of this faction is with other bashers, the undead will react to the rest of the group normally (attacking, for example) while ignoring the Dustman. Should the Dustman aid his companions, those undead are released from the pact. Because of this possibility, it's more common to find Dustmen working side by side with zombies and such.

Restrictions. A Dustman's chance of resurrection survival is half that of other characters. The concept of raising and resurrection is counter to the philosophy of the faction, and so it's not something willingly accepted by most Dustmen.

Tromador

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ^^Truth on 21st May 2010, 8:01 pm

So, the Dustman are opposed to the Senates and Signers Very Happy

That should make for some fun, happy, inter-group RPing, hahahahaha.

Also, what is this Bead Truce? Sounds truely awesome, for once, I was attacked by giant beads in mexico and my clothes are still all stiched up.

Btw Zert. Max HP is first THREE levels, not FOUR. You cheating loser of super proportions.

^^Truth
Super Nazi Admin
Super Nazi Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by #1! on 31st May 2010, 5:18 am

Goals and Adventure Hooks

Revenge from Beyond the Grave

Jonas seeks vengeance against the three who stole his very life from him. However, the ritual that drained his life essence also flung all four into the planes. Jonas ended up being trapped alone in the Abyss for an unknown period of time. He has no idea where the other three ended up.

The objects of his hatred are as follows: Lucrezia DeGroot, a heart-broken, jealous, petty, beautiful woman who gained Jonas' good looks and youth from the dark ritual; Hoyt van Buren, the scion of a minor noble house and a childhood friend of Jonas' who gained a portion of Jonas' skills, talents, and memories; and Marson Lindbergh, the magician and necromancer who robbed Jonas of his life essence and a portion of his soul through the black magic ritual that he performed.

Lust for Life

Despite being a member of the Dustmen faction and being an undead individual, Jonas still desires to enjoy the pleasures of life, especially sex. Thus, he is constantly on the look-out for a female of basically any species that would be willing to bed him.

Cravings

Being sentient has not freed Jonas from the appetites inherent to his undead nature. His desire for flesh is mostly kept in check by his willpower and self-control, but flares ups occur. Furthermore, stressful situations only serve to exacerbate his ghoulish cravings.

High Society

Jonas wishes to rise within the Guild of Gentlemen Explorers, whether through feats of exploration or underhanded politicking.

Lost Gifts

Jonas was an accomplished singer and musician when he was alive. Unfortunately, his transformation has rendered his throat raw and his fingers stiff. Regardless, he yearns to perform, to show-off, and to regain his musical aptitude.

Grand Theft

More of an OOC goal: pulling off a bank heist or just plain robbing a bank.

#1!
VOTE NAZI TANK!
VOTE NAZI TANK!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 10:32 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top